Thursday, April 3, 2008

The coolest thing my dad has said (in my presence) in recent memory:

I received an e-mail from my dad today, and it reminded me that he occasionally used to rock.

It is a Microsoft bug/feature related to 8 bit MIME. 2003 Exchange forwards in 8 bit MIME. Other Exchange Servers and many other Servers can accept it. Yahoo and BlackBerry do not. This MS Document tells us how to turn off this feature. It’s scary and reminds me of my days as an assembler programmer XOR’ing a packed data field but it works. I have tried it on mine and now Yahoo messages can be forwarded to my BlackBerry and Vice Versa. It’s something I’ll need to do on any Exchange Server I have that forwards mail to a PDA or server similar to Yahoo.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/257569/

I just looked at that and said to myself, "That's so cool... he used to be an assembler programmer... he knows what XOR is... hehe".

But anyway, to comment on Microsoft, 8 bit mime, ESMTP, and... how dumb SMTP is as a protocol, and why Blackberry/Yahoo/anyone else can't understand a few extra "introduction" lines (or why Exchange 2000 can't) is just... annoying. :)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your dad is an über K-rad 1337 1980s-era h4x0r. ;P

ASM would've been more enjoyable for me if my first experience with it wasn't on NIU's IBM s390 mainframe, where the compile-debug cycle time is measured in minutes, sometimes even hours - not seconds... x86 ASM was more interesting (if only b/c that's the arch I'm most-familiar with), but the prof for that class was a monster *expletive deleted*.

www.flickr.com
Xystance's items Go to Xystance's photostream