Monday, April 21, 2008

Western Digital "VelociRaptor" - !!!!!


Over the last few years, when I've needed a high performance hard drive, I've purchased and recommended the Western Digital Raptor line. From the first 36GB 10000RPM 8MB cache drive all the way to the 150GB 10000RPM 15MB cache'd Raptor X, I've been extremely happy with them.

  1. I've purchased at least 30 for myself and clients, and none of them have died.
  2. They run at 10K RPM (faster than the standard 7200RPM or 5400RPM for desktop drives) meaning faster sustained read speeds and faster random seek reads.
  3. They sound cool without being annoying (hehe).
But, they're old... the last update to the line was in late 2006 and, I still love them, but I'm always looking for more speed.

So they introduced the VelociRaptor.


It's a terrible name, yes, but it's all about hard drive performance, and apparently this "tears shit up". It's a 2.5" drive with a huge heatsink surrounding it!


There've been 10K RPM SAS server drives out for a long time, it's nice to see they're bringing them over to the desktop, standard SATA side.

So, while I didn't find this out all by my lonesome, I thought this was exciting enough to bring everyone's attention. Want a fast drive? GET THIS.

300GB, 10K RPM, 3.0GB SATA (finally), and lots of healthy reviews = win.

Source: Engadget
Review: Tom's Hardware
Review: Maximum PC
Review: PC Perspective
Review: Hot Hardware

0 comments:

www.flickr.com
Xystance's items Go to Xystance's photostream