Friday, February 8, 2008

Brand New! Brand New! Brand New!


About three weeks ago I listened to NPR (WBEZ, Chicago Public Radio) and Sound Opinions came on. They were discussing Michael Jackson and his latest attempt at a comeback via a hop-hop world that's rapidly coming around to Jackson being "cool" again due to the 25th anniversary of Thriller. Then they discussed Michael Jackson's "biggest fan", Rhymefest.

I first heard Rhymefest on a few Kanye West tracks. I've always been a big fan of sampling, scratch DJ's, and organicly grown rap and while Kanye may not be "underground" or producing for Jay-Z anymore, he was definitely groundbreaking. He brought Rhymefest into my consciousness.

So I grabbed Rhymefest - Blue Collar.
I loved it, I'm definitely going to see Rhymefest next time he's in town.

Anyway, Rhymefest made a mix album he's released for free via his MySpace page
taking samples and interviews from Michael Jackson's older and best work and mixing it together into some fantastic tracks, some hilarious interview segments, and an all around great album.

He may riff on Michael Jackson for his proclivities, but all in all it's obvious he's got a lot of love for Michael Jackson. Go visit his MySpace page and download Man in the Mirror for free.

0 comments:

www.flickr.com
Xystance's items Go to Xystance's photostream