Monday, February 18, 2008

Flotation Centers, Relaxation, ... I need to head into Chicago.

So my Aunt Teresita and Uncle Frank ran a flotation center a couple years ago called "Aguasal". I'd never heard of flotation centers, isolation tanks or float tanks, only of sensory deprivation in the context of The Simpsons.



So I didn't exactly have an educated perception of floating. :)

But luckily Frank and Tere did, and knew about the benefits of floating enough to not just write or evangelize, but to found and run a flotation center!

Chicago's ABC 7 station ran a report on flotation while they were putting the finishing touches on their center.



A few months later, 190 North, a local Chicago based "news magazine" type show decided to pay Aguasal a visit.




This was all back in early to mid 2005. Unfortunately Aguasal closed (and so did my easy, nearby chance to float!) but it left a permanent mark in my mind and in many others.

Floatforhealth.net
still ranks as one of the premier sources of information for flotation on the internet and it's still run by Frank and Tere.

They've also put up a blog that answers many questions about flotation. Check out floatation-tank.com and you can ask questions and get some answers if you're interested.

It also has links to where you can float in the US. The two places local to Chicago are:

Ecosspa (Naperville, IL) directions

SpaceTimeTanks (Chicago, IL)
directions

2 comments:

Frank Rodriguez said...

Thanks for the good word David. The benefits of the floatation tank aren't easy to explain since what happens inside of it is largely up to the person doing the floating. That's why I'm grateful for people like you sharing your experience.

Also thank for posting the Simpsons clip. I get something new out of it every time I see it.

Xystance said...

Hehe, I still have the full episode floating around here somewhere.

www.flickr.com
Xystance's items Go to Xystance's photostream